View Single Post
Old 28th July 2020, 12:43 AM   #14
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K

Here importance has been given to the shape of the tail of the platen, as intended for the Portuguese market. There are numerous examples of Spanish miqueletes, with these characteristics and it is generally linked to the position of the safety wedge, which acts at the bottom of the leg curve.

Affectionately
When I re-read this from your previous post, the phrase "these characteristics" implies more than one thing -- are you talking about both the downward tail and a certain position of the half-cock sear (as I underlined above? I wonder how numerous are the examples of either feature on Spanish miquelets: I have seen far more of the downward tails on Portuguese locks, and the quote from James Lavin's book in my other post indicates that the half cock that engages the crook of the foot is not common-- "infrequent" is the word he uses -- even in Spain.

Now, this having been said --

Thank you for your preceding posts with images. Comparing with what I posted previously, we are actually talking about the same thing -- that the sear arrangement that we are focused on can be used on lockplates of different shape. It further demonstrates that the Portuguese style lockplate with downward tail is not a necessary requirement for the utilization of this type of half-cock sear, because the photo and diagrams we both posted show that the French-style lockplate is also perfectly compatible!
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote