View Single Post
Old 1st October 2011, 01:54 AM   #27
kai

Hello Gustav,

Quote:
Here a pic of another Sundang, which is probably similar to the one in Museum.
That's a different type of fullering; also the features at the base of the blade differ. It's a good comparision though and shows the craftmanship I'd expect from a quality blade from the 19th c.

Quote:
As I wrote, I suppose, the sundang of Charles has lost some material abowe the Greneng; the space between fuller and edge should be equally broad as on the Kembang Kacang side.
I see what you mean but from the overall proportions I'd guess that the flow of lines was just less well controlled when this blade got carved.

Quote:
I think, there is some minimal markings of reshaping also abowe the (actually much to small and Moro looking) Kembang Kacang, and this space (Gusen) could originally be broader also on this side.
Not sure this really is the result of reshaping. Charles, can we get a close-up of the base features from the other side?

Quote:
I suppose also, there were some "extern" Greneng beyond the inserted dots, which is almost completely gone. As ever, the most loss of material is at the Wadidang/Greneng area. Becouse of this very common reshaping I thought, this Sundang could be slightly older (end of 19. cent.),
Larger greneng would have botched up the proportions even more - I don't think this piece ever had such features.

BTW, it's common to see some broken off greneng, etc. but a completely recarved greneng area seems to be quite rare with Moro kris (as well as Malay keris sundang) - they generally are much stronger than with the keris of usual size.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote