View Single Post
Old 16th June 2007, 06:58 AM   #27
Philip

Default comments on fittings

I'm a bit late to this thread, having just been alerted by Nick Wardigo. Someone made the comment that the fittings were not up to the quality of the blade. Yes and no. I believe it was Nick who opined that the scabbard is a later replacement of indifferent quality, and I agree. Probably a "field expedient" made quickly just to have something to protect the blade and carry it around in.

The hilt fittings were originally quite good. They are in the style and quality of the late 18th thru early 19th cent., with the archaistic dragon motifs in relief that started to appear on both gun and saber decoration as early as the latter 17th. The surfaces of the pommel and ferrule are extremely worn, blurring the design, but a good look at the surfaces of the guard show something of the original condition of the work. The wear on the hilt is consistent with the signs of hard usage evident on the blade before its restoration.

The cord wrapping on the grip looks to be in very sound condition, and considering the amount of wear on the metal parts, it is probably not the original. It could date from the time the scabbard was replaced.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote