View Single Post
Old 29th April 2014, 12:51 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I found an article, "Daggers: From Fearsome Weapon to Fashion Statement" by Shilpa Mathai, ('Gulf News.com, December 28,2000) in which the author notes, "...the mark of a good sheath are its inlaid silver rings, the maximum is seven rings of which two are used to hold the belt, and five through which strands of thread are woven as ornamentation". It is further stated that there is no special significance to the number of rings on a khanjar and this depends on personal preference. The rings are expensive and usually the more wealthy would wear the maximum number of rings according to the author, so apparently these would be more status oriented.

It seems that the minimum number would be two, as these seem to be structurally situated, but others have four and six rings, with the seven typically to examples of the higher degree and of the 'tuza' category for aristocrats and important tribal figures such as chieftains.

I have often wondered about the significance symbolically of certain design features on hilts as well, and it seems on certain Islamic swords there are numbered strings of beads, but cannot recall significance.

I don't think this answers the question which concerns placement on the scabbard in the back or method of properly wearing these, but the information seemed pertinent anyway.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote