View Single Post
Old 11th August 2013, 03:35 PM   #40
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all Note to Forum. Added detail to above post ; The purchase date is nearer 1990. There is no latten inlay in any of the stamps. The star form (Islamic) is the Star of Solomon form. The Hilt; although the Quillons are missing is an Omani Battle Sword Classic... what may be questionable is the blade. I am trying to determine its flexibility. Is it a refitted dancing blade?

The scabbard details underline the Omani Battle Sword status being of the right nature and format. What is quite amazing(to me) is the style and size...about two inches square... the Lion/Wolf... I favour Lion since its tail is of that style and it has huge claws.

What is also interesting is the roundel since we know that full moons are not Islamic (it is the other moons that attract such meaning) but what is significant about roundels is their attachment to Mamluk style as the mark of ownership..by a man of the pen (as opposed to a man of the sword). The round face ... its eyes are inkwells depicting a penbox. The lips of the face are perhaps the two separate legs of pantaloons... often illustrated thus on Mamluk insignia. More on that later.

I have noted that silver wire is hammered into the Pommel as in some other hilts of Omani Battle Swords. The octagonal hilt is very visible as are the three hilt holes; the top hole being for the wrist strap. The second pin is a later addition as they are flat headed rivvets rather than pin headed. The hand tooling to the scabbard is typical for this mark.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 11th August 2013 at 05:37 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote