Thread: Fijian club
View Single Post
Old 24th July 2014, 05:48 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

I have seen these clubs described as "Sali". I don't know how accurate that info is though. Here is a bit from one website.
"Also known as Sali or Tebetebe these clubs are similar to Gata clubs but they have wider cheeks and a more pronounced spur. They were used in the same way as a Gata with a cutting edge to snap and cut bone. There is a variety of Sali made from a lighter wood made for ceremonial dances. Sometimes misdescribed as a gunstock clubs."
The Kiakavo is described by the same website as a dance club. It has some similarities of form, but no "cutting edge".
http://www.new-guinea-tribal-art.com...ative-weapons/
AFAIK these are still produced today for tourist consumption. They do make them hefty and functional though. I used to see modern examples of these and other style clubs from the region in the Picton Castle store in their home port in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. The Picton Castle is a 3-masted tall ship that regularly sails around the world and they alway picked up such things as they sailed through the region. All very effective weapons, well carved, but new.
David is offline   Reply With Quote