View Single Post
Old 15th December 2018, 06:32 AM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Still intrigued by this amazing dirk, I have been plowing through as many references as I can find. While enjoying the history of the Scottish clans and Jacobite myths etc. it is exciting to learn more on these topics with this dirk leading the way.

One reference I found was "The Scottish Dirk" (1975/1991) by James D. Forman, probably the foremost author I have found on the topic aside from John Wallace "Scottish Swords and Dirks" (1970).

As previously discussed, the character of this hilt seems to correspond to those of around mid 18th century 1750-60, and as noted the blade seems a cut down English military blade of much earlier.

In reading through the Forman article (p.19) there is a dirk of 1805-1820s with the odd canted stone pommel and very flat styling of the military sort of the 19th century. While clearly having nothing to do with the exceptional 18th century dirk we are looking at here.....it is noted as of the 78th Regiment of Foot......better known as ROSS-SHIRE BUFFS.

The unit was formed at Ft. George in July 1793 by Francis MacKenzie , and by 1794 was off to Holland for campaigns seeing action continually and into Napoleonic campaigns. Ft, George was built post 1746 near Inverness.
The MacKenzie clan is prevalent there and Ross Shire.

I am wondering if perhaps this might be our RB 2

The most unusual element of this dirk is the curious device or fixture on the pommel...the four posts surround with central capstan. The only example of dirk with a similar type of fixture on the pommel in this manner is in Stone (p.209, fig. 259, #1) and of 1700-20, which is far too early in its other features compared to the baluster style in the example posted. I have not found this pommel feature on any other examples in the material I have researched.

The closest thing I can find that resembles this kind of device is the famed Brooch of Lorn which has a stone at center and surrounded by posts with stones at top of each. Here I would note that the regions of Ross Shire extend to the outer Hebrides and Isle of Lewis. This brooch is related to Lords of the Isles from medieval times. While this is a tenuous suggestion it is interesting in the design in comparison.

Possibly this is an earlier dirk which has had the mounts later engraved to this unit and owner? It would be interesting to see if the National Army Museum in London might have rosters of this unit in this period (they were later in the 19th century joined with Seaforth Highanders (1881).

Hope this might be of some help establishing the important pedigree of this dirk.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th December 2018 at 06:45 AM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote