View Single Post
Old 20th October 2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Gt Obach

the world changes...

its more than just the " standardization" factor ! Wootz is not something that i could ever see being efficiently produced compared to modern standards.. its a small batch steel by nature ! It is a very clean steel with low alloy content, except for carbon being high .

- to forge it, you must use low forge temp heats therefore it almost alway has a very small grain size ( small grain size help immensely with toughness, while a large grain will be much more brittle )

forgewelding is at very high heat... if you do not take the effort to normalize the steel after... you will have a very large grained steel ... this is a potential pitfall of bloom steel !

also, i do not believe that even the smalltime wootz sword makers would not have some tests to proof a blade before it leaves the shop.. just about any bladesmith i know takes their blade to a piece of hard wood and chops away to test the edge and blade for impact strength

there'll alway be the scammers and peddlers of poor goods, and rigid standards would eliminate that forsure

still, you have to compare wootz to small production bloom steel ... in this respect it is good ( and in my opinion, i'd say better )

ofcourse Walloon, Puddling ... and so on, start down the road to industrialization and mass production ( a whole different barrel of apples )
- a game changer

talk is cheap
take your cheepest wootz sabre and sharpen it as it should be.. hang a 15inch cube of meat from a tree and slice it diagonally

I'll choose wootz

but, i'd never choose either sword for combat, I'll make the implements for war, but i'd never partake ..... remember the fate of that 15 inch cube of meat, remember how effortless it was to cleave in into two massive pieces..... that is a fate i won't ever risk
Gt Obach is offline   Reply With Quote