View Single Post
Old 28th May 2014, 05:51 AM   #162
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Lofty,
I am not disagreeing in respect of HISTORICAL connection between Al Ahsa and Bahrain. The subject here is about the Al Ahsa Khanjar and the modern location of that area. I have no doubt that in the past there were cross connections and different boundries between factions/tribes etc., so the ORIGINAL khanjar could have originated anywhere.
As stated before, this style is illustrated in the book (not just a pamphlet as suggested by Ibrahiim) publication by the King Faisal Center, as coming from Al Ahsa.
I would respectfully suggest that if it is felt that the information is incorrect, then the person suggesting this should contact the Center to clarify. Their postal address is: P.O.Box 51049, Riyadh 11543, KSA
I look forward with interest to the conclusion.
Stu
In picking my way through your confused first paragraph where you distort Al Ahsa in relation to where it was and where it is today, though, to be honest to a newcomer to the dynamics of the region it must indeed be quite puzzling at times; I offer the following advice ~

May I first just qualify "the pamphlet" written in the early days by Ruth Hawley;

Although it appears as a relatively small pamphlet it contains a packed arsenal of fine historical detail probably not yet bettered til today...and highly respected by anyone studying Omani artefacts. It has been refered to by many other books and publications including the "Richardson and Dorr" and the book on Omani Silver by the prestigious Museum in Quwait; The Tareq Rajeb Museum, on the same subject. Though limited in scope it is a bastion of knowledge and the mainstay of many articles and books on Omani Artefacts. Her work is in fact a benchmark on Omani ethnographics, artefacts and antiques. You should therefor, perhaps, observe this '' pamphlet " which may help you to hoist in at least some of its content so as to deepen your understanding of Oman.

Furthermore, I have shown the direct link in style between the Omani Muscat Khanjar and the item from the Asir. Should you wish to identify another contender to be compared in the same or similar way then please do so...and since you appear to have to hand the documentary evidence then why don't you show it? I have no reason at this time to divert my attention from the key area already discussed ...The Asir and Muscat... linked by seatrade Muscat, Asir, Zanzibar.

In fact, you may well find that the area known as Bahrayn which included Al AHSA does have a dagger similar to the Omani style and that may well be down to trade as well... It will give you the opportunity to do some research and we all look forward to your in depth efforts on behalf of Forum in this regard.

To conclude; of course if anything turns up at this end I will post it straightaway, meanwhile, good luck on your research and note that you are starting with a reference in which you place high esteem. ( Occasionally, however, it has been noted that publications with apparently high qualifications sometimes fall short in fine detail through no fault of their own...perhaps you could illustrate the fine words describing the khanjar just to view as an example the historical depth of your reference?)

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 28th May 2014 at 04:10 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote