View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 10:21 AM   #152
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I do not intend to reopen the "discussion" on so called Habaabi khanjars, but the style of Khanjar shown by Ruth Hawley, has been described by the King Faisal Center for Islamic Studies in Riyadh, as coming from the Al Ahsa area of Saudi Arabia. This area is situated in the eastern area of Saudi, bordering Oman, and therefore many miles from Abha.
As far as the scabbard being the basis of the Royal Khanjar goes, I was of the impression that Saudi scabbards tended to be more up turned at the toe than Omani ones.
You attribute the design as originating from the Muscat Khanjar, which may or may not be the case, but concrete proof would in my opinion be needed before any conclusive decision could be reached.
I have no idea why you seem to be blinded by the Habaabi structure which I have referenced and covered fully even down to a map...and picture references. There may well be another region in the east with similar daggers but I have already declared that this needs to be investigated as the two areas well documented now are Muscat and the Abha region...The Muscat Khanjar and the Asir/ Abha ..known as the Habaabi Khanjar. They are not as you put it..."so called". They exist... and are now well documented .

The scabbard of the Royal Omani Khanjar!!... You have missed the point. Its not the Royal Khanjar Scabbard that was designed by Sheherazad...Its the Hilt!! The Scabbard on the Royal Omani Khanjar comes from the Muscat Khanjar.

It appears true that Yemeni and Saudia Khanjars are traditionally more turned at the toe...or to get it right chronologically The Omani Khanjar tends to be less turned at the toe section than the Yemeni and Saudia styles.

Within the mixture of Southern Arabian Daggers cross pollination, copying , mirroring of styles has occured and for good reason this Habaabi dagger has been adopted there...Seatrade...The Zanzibar link...

I don't deal in concrete. As you are aware on these pages cast iron situations are seldom proveable ..nor are they sought. This situation with the Omani influence in the Asir has been shown to be entirely plausible...how else could it have transpired?

I repeat that we have at forum compared the two regional weapons The Muscat and the Abha... If another area is to be balanced and compared then it too has to be researched...then...considered.

I am interested to know where and how it is explained in your Saudia reference ...that the Ruth Hawley Muscat Khanjar is in fact from Saudia??

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote