View Single Post
Old 16th June 2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagabuwana View Post
In Keris cultures, my understanding is that important keris are ritually cleaned periodically by their caretakers.

Over time this leads to degradation of the keris itself.

The keris is a physical object with metaphysical content and meaning - both of which make up its importance.

So when its physical aspect is degraded over time, at what point is it deemed "too" degraded?

Assuming that it is very inappropriate to simply discard it, what is done with the material that is left?

Finally, what is understood to be happening at the metaphysical level when the keris, the shrine, is degraded over time like this? e.g. does it reduce its potency as a shrine or conduit to ancestors and previous custodians?

From my own limited experience and discussions with other local native senior collectors in the past,

actually depends on the area where the keris are from; the Bugis and Balinese keris despite being old, are still in healthy condition and I suppose it is due to the less aggressive yearly 'washing' of the bilah compare to mainland Java. Unwanted, damaged or bad keris are thrown into the river or buried. I suppose attached sample of photo is consider 'washed out'.

To the local natives, keris hold a significant spiritual values other than just a weapon.

I was also told that in ancient time, Buddhists do not destroy Buddha statues and if needed so, the statue are buried in the sand instead, out of respect.

In modern day, I came to know there are locals who took from the graves etc for old keris metal and recycle it to use to forge new keris. Not sure why. One of my Java keris is forged from old keris steel.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote