View Single Post
Old 25th March 2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Really, I'm not sure about that. It's typical to me.
I don't know how you can say that...

Finally one point where we agree
This kind of sword has very often trophy blades, very often from Caucasian shashka or others

Kubur, I am extremely pleased that we have 'one' point of agreement! I cannot resist feeling a sense of triumph. There are of course instances of trophy blades in many swords but Russian ones I have seen come to mind here, with what seems to be perhaps an East European blade.

On the tughra, I think we have here a matter of Rorschach perspective.

While these symbolic devices used as personal seals and monogram or heraldic emblems, which have long Turkic history, are regarded as Ottoman, they were widely used in other cases in degree following the Ottoman style.

In looking at the systemic dynamics of the 'tughra', which to me always looked a bit like an amoeba (in a sense, and leaning toward the psychological context of course, as per Rorschach).......this device does not seem to follow 'tughra' conventions'.

Perhaps this was how I might have said what you may have regarded as tughra heresy and why I thought since this sword seemed 'out of direct Ottoman sphere' the device might be a variant recalling the tughra.

Obviously I do not share your expertise on these, so I hope you might enlighten me (and others reading) on the spectrum of tughra variants which are outside the set patterns I have attached.

Also attached is the device on the sword posted which looks more like an 'ace of clubs' in the playing card suit system.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote