View Single Post
Old 13th July 2008, 10:23 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
Yes this happens but not the way you discribe if we speak about javanese
ones .
The most nice ones that are in europe are taken away by the soldiers long time ago .
Or they take a loan on the kris that they never could pay back and then it did get sold by the loanbank .
I am not really talking about the nice ones that are in Europe. I am talking about keris that get sold in Jawa today.

Quote:
There was also in the Netherlands in 1981 an big action these krissen where bring in by An Javanese prins to sell overhere and where sold for big pices
but it was not that they where without money .

Auction april 27th - may 4th 1981 Paul Brandt in Amsterdam
name off cataloque the fascinating world of oriental art .

But the story did go that some these where not old or disputable so they where brought back to the auction house Paul Brandt .
Why would a Javanese prince bring a bunch of keris to the Netherlands to sell if it was not for the money?

Quote:
Most off the common people did not have the money to get an kris and are not allowed to carry an high rank weapon this can be read in the historian books about Indonesia

The are even Batiks motifs that only can be carried by high rank persons .
Yes, the "common people" were not allowed to carry keris with certain high ranking features. But many people who were of a courtly status in old Jawa or Bali (and elsewhere i am sure) do not necessarily have high status positions in modern Indonesia. Just because your great grandfather was a courtesan does not ensure current financial stability. Yet you may well still have wealth in your family pusaka. It is not usually the first course of action, but i have heard of people giving up their family keris to make ends meet. It does happen.

Quote:
So you are wrong if you say

that these weapons are often passed down through generations. Just because someone's great, great grandpa was a member of court does not necessarily translate to present day wealth and than sell it because they poor .

that this is the reason that they come on the market now .
"THE" reason...not necessarily...."A" reason...i stand by that.

Quote:
Some old time kris collectors overhere passed away and the collction did get split up I have see that happend the last few years .

I have an friend that have some famous krissen in his collection that goes back to famous people of high rank and weddings gifts long time ago proven and a few out off this catalogue but the real old ones .
Not every keris of worth that ends up on the market is already in some Dutch collection. There is quite a bit of dealings that take place in Jawa, between pusaka owners and Javanese collectors that we Westerners are never a part of.
David is offline   Reply With Quote