View Single Post
Old 29th July 2011, 02:01 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Plastic, Bakerlite and Arabian Arms

Hello All,

Through the time I have spent collecting (not much :P), I have came across various arab arms of different quality that employs plastic or bakerlite hilts. In total, I have atleast seen a couple of swords in Badawi style with plastic hilts, all of those had older blades, one with a very fine european one and one seems locally made but imitating persian style. This btw, are not to be mistaken with modern repros.

I also came across persian swords with plastic (one had a pink plastic hilt!) and a few with bakerlite (similar to the example owned by David, Aka Katana)

So how wide spread the usage of plastic in arabia? and any picture examples perhaps?

Sadly, I do not have any picture of those as they are sold before I could take pictures of them. but I have an example, A jambiya; it has heavy silver fitting, of good quality compared to the modern ones still being made. The blade is old, sharpened and of good quality, but the only let down to me which made me hesitate to buy it ( it was cheap as dirt) was that it had a plastic hilt. There are almost identical examples sold by oriental arms, so that added abit of confidence to me and I took it.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote