View Single Post
Old 28th August 2015, 11:48 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Thanks for the clarification David.

Yes, I did not follow your train of thought.

In truth, I do not have even the slightest curiosity about the mating of this hilt with this blade. There are just so many possible explanations that any speculation is in my opinion pretty pointless. If the blade was in a properly fitted wrongko some speculation might be justified, but with just a hilt? From my perspective, I don't think so.
Well again Alan, that is why i stated, twice, that it was a shame that there is no sheath with this keris. This is also why i was questioning for more information on the rather vague provenance since i would image that when this hilt was actually married to this blade would present different possibilities for the reasons why they came together. As to the value of speculation, given the limited information, the one poor photo, the inaccurate description (this most certainly does not appear to be a Sulawesi hilt), etc, we can either speculate or simply say nice looking keris with an unusual pairing with a Northern Sumatran hilt, shrug our shoulders and move on...
David is offline   Reply With Quote