View Single Post
Old 27th June 2014, 04:38 PM   #168
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default A Most Unusual Omani Khanjar.

Salaams All ~ Of all the Omani Khanjar styles I have seen there is one which is difficult to place... Clearly it is old from the late 19th / early 20th C in my opinion...but where from in Oman? I found the picture whilst researching Khanjars for another project, however, I have searched for similar examples but as yet ... none. It may be because the silver maker...when he died ... that design vanished with him. There was one master silversmith whos work was of such a high standard that he was able to sign his work...not seen on any other Omani silver in the old days... The Master of Sulaif. I wondered if this was one of his masterpieces..?

The answer must be that this "style" is a Muscat Khanjar because it carries the 9 ringer scabbard and has a Tee shaped hilt on the dagger. The design above the belt of a geometric square of 11x11 silver round headed pins reflected also below the belt in a similar rectangle is for me a puzzle and unattributable to any silvermaker that I know.... The gigantic mulberry cluster on the Quba (crown) is also unusual. I have never seen geometry like this and of note are the 5 discs with 7 geometry decoration. Both 5 and 7 are lucky numbers and where the 7 reflects perhaps the 7 rings.

The overall feeling is of an extremely accurately drawn project piece with a beautiful almost delicate hilt...and perfectly balanced throughout..The technique of brown whip cord decoration on the scabbard under the rings is not one I have ever encountered..but is very attractive.

They don't make them like that anymore !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Picture from The Richardson and Dorr Volumes; The Craft Herritage of Oman.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th June 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote