View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:57 PM   #151
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams All, Note to Library,

Correction to past threads on the Habbaabi Khanjar
form of the Saudia Arabia Asir regional dagger. The Name of the weapon appears as Habbaabi but is probably from Abha and either there is a silent letter at the front which has become muddled in the sound ... Abha is the capital of the Asir thus it is there that I think the name has sprung from. Abhaabi which sounds like Habbaabi.

It is this Muscat Khanjar that was "copied in" as a style of weapon into the then Yemeni region now part of the Saudia Asir region... likely imported there by Omani/Yemeni ships trading between Red Sea Ports, Zanzibar and Oman.

I show below the grainy old picture from what is an epic pamphlet on Omani Silver by Ruth Hawley. of the original form of Muscat Khanjar... whose design of scabbard became part of the Royal Khanjar by Sheherazad in about 1850. (It may be remembered that she designed the Hilt ...and also the Royal Turban).

With that please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=360 by Congre...for the Abhaabi dagger details also brought to the pictures below;

A map of the Asir is included.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I do not intend to reopen the "discussion" on so called Habaabi khanjars, but the style of Khanjar shown by Ruth Hawley, has been described by the King Faisal Center for Islamic Studies in Riyadh, as coming from the Al Ahsa area of Saudi Arabia. This area is situated in the eastern area of Saudi, bordering Oman, and therefore many miles from Abha.
As far as the scabbard being the basis of the Royal Khanjar goes, I was of the impression that Saudi scabbards tended to be more up turned at the toe than Omani ones.
You attribute the design as originating from the Muscat Khanjar, which may or may not be the case, but concrete proof would in my opinion be needed before any conclusive decision could be reached.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote