Thread: Keris Bahari?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2012, 07:32 PM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
IMO all fittings are probably fairly recent: The hilt and pendokok will do - could certainly be replaced if you find anything nice though; the scabbard could need some improvement - if there's enough wood, one could try to grind away the carving. Covering them up with embossed silver would be another option but having a good, traditional scabbard made for the blade is better (and probably cheaper)...
Just my own take on this, but i think sometimes we need to accept a keris and/or it's parts for what it is. Many collectors seem too quick to upgrade, often beyond the quality of the blade itself. This sheath is certainly not ideal and the design on the stem is unusual for this form, but it probably did come from an Indonesian source. It is certainly much more recent than the blade. While i would consider re-finishing it, i don't think i would consider grinding away the carving. The finish is pretty poorly done and if to removed it and refinished it you probably would only improve the look. I like the pendokok and would not consider changing it.
The blade could use some cleaning. I would try a pineapple juice soak with regular brushing with a tooth brush. It's a nice old blade that should clean up well.
David is offline   Reply With Quote