View Single Post
Old 16th July 2014, 11:56 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you so much for your input, Jim.
Indeed the vieira (shell-scallop) became Santiago pilgrims symbol since the middle ages, but eventualy Portuguese King Dom João V (1706-1750) was also fond of it, in a manner that firearms trigger guards, for one, were often made with such shape. This to say that the shell in this sword guard doesn't necessarily attribut it a specific provenance. I also guess (without thorough consultation) that the vieira in Spain is more a regional adornment (Galiza) than Spanish in general.
On the other hand if i were to fully trust Eduardo Nobre in his work AS ARMAS E OS BARÕES, i would assume without a doubt that these examples with the shell are surely Portuguese, as he quotes in one of these in his book, dating them form the end XVII century.
I have faith that the inscription lettering makes some sense, other than a symbolism setup, arcane and acrostic, as you put it in fine words . I already burnt my eyelashes trying to figure out its contents but, so far, i go no further than guessing that the lettering on the right face would be Berchausen or Berghausen; but browsing on these names as sword smiths i came to no result ... as probably i am way out of reality.
In any case i follow your in the assumption that this is a German blade from the XVII century. I have also seen that 'stylized' letter E in German blades.
I still trust that one of our experienced members, Jasper for one, comes in with a solution .

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 17th July 2014 at 10:05 AM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote