View Single Post
Old 13th November 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

In Modern Javanese "warangka" can be written as "wrangka", rangka" and phonetically by omitting the first "A" and replacing the other two "A" 's with "O" 's .

The word has a sense of protection or containment, one of its derivatives being wrangkaning ratu = patih (probably more realistically the mahapatih) = prime minister or chief adviser. The association is easy to see, the mahapatih protects the king with his advice.

In Old Javanese, which is probably a more relevant source to look at, "warangka" is again a word that has a sense of protection or containment. Zoetmulder lists the root as a keris scabbard and as a stable (stable being able to be understood as an animal stall or an animal pen), and also as a nest.

I cannot comment on the keris form that is found in the Philippines, as I have not involved myself in study of this in even the smallest degree, however I am prepared to comment on the keris in Jawa.

The association of the keris scabbard form, especially the formal scabbard, with the form of some boats has been made many times in the past. Yes, there is a faint resemblance in form, but in respect of the Javanese keris I have been unable to find even the slightest evidence to support this theorised association.

Similarly, a long standing theory in respect of the blade of the keris has been that in the straight form it represents the naga at rest, in the waved form it represents the naga in motion. Interesting.

The other symbolism mentioned as being associated with the Philippine keris form is also interesting, but I would prefer to reserve comment.