View Single Post
Old 21st July 2008, 03:22 AM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! Thats a lot of response on this!!
Artzi's statement is of course right on target, in fact the ring guard example I got from him was one of a large group made in Zanzibar and exported to Yemen. Buttin's reference in the 1933 work concurs with these being Zanzibar made for Arabs.

Since the 'nimchas' of Morocco always carried trade blades from varying centers, primarily Solingen, they were nearly always full length and many were 'backswords' (single edge straight blades). The term sa'if is simply the term locally applied to these swords, and as noted, is a general transliteration. It is interesting to note that in the Sudan, the kaskara term is completely unknown, and these broadswords are called....sa'if!

The 'nimcha' term for the Moroccan swords with several drooping quillons does actually apply primarily to the distinctive hilt style, disregarding the blade it carries. This hilt form actually developed from early sabres from Venice of the storta type**, and existed early in the 17th century in Morocco, in fact there are portraits of English figures wearing them in that time.

Rick the example you have is extremely nice, especially the great patination! It is one of the early ones, 18th century to be sure, and the blade stamp as previously discussed pretty elusive. I remember trying to find it in all the standard references, and doesnt correspond directly with anything in particular.

For the sake of simplicity, I think these horn hilted, multiquilloned Moroccan swords as well as the Zanzibar variants should be left at nimcha.

The so called 'wedding nimchas' are simply costume and ceremonial pieces and of course the name is in degree correct.

*** the takouba blades were often trade blades, though the native made blades were certainly traded as well, and it would not be surprising to see one on the Moroccan nimcha. The Andrea Ferrara blade would be distinctly Solingen.

All the best,
Jim

** see "A Late 15th Century Italian Sword" by Anthony North, in
"Connoisseur" magazine Dec.1975, pp238-241 for more
on the connection between Italian swords and the Moroccan
nimcha.
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st July 2008 at 03:46 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote