View Single Post
Old 11th December 2007, 07:15 AM   #18
Boedhi Adhitya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Dear Michel,

The instructional of keris making in Haryono's book (page 110, 111, and 112), is really technical. Litterally, the "javanese" words -- yes, those are all javanese words -- may means different from the words. Like "nyawati" in the first picture (number 15). Literally means like "throwing stones to somewhere". Or "diwangun" (there are diwangun 1, diwangun 2, and diwangun 3) literally means forming the blade in order not to be "clumsy" (?) -- you may help me, Mas Boedhi. On "ngilap" and "ngleseh" these were really "plastical" javanese words, that needs to see the demonstration...

I think Alan could explain to you better on these really technical instructions of keris making -- the second stage of keris blade forming...

Ganjawulung
Without the book on my hand, I'm afraid I cannot give much explanation, Mas Ganja. But if I may suggest you, Michel, you should understand the meaning of "diwangun", "ngilap" of "ngleseh" simply as grinding, filing or shaping. Yes, there are some different purpose/stress on each step, but the action is almost the same. "ngluroni" is to anneal / normalize the blade. Furthermore, you don't miss much by not understanding the exact meaning of each steps in keris making, as long as you can 'grasp' the meaning

wish may help,

boedhi adhitya
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote