View Single Post
Old 14th July 2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Cakszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Sorry to be insistent, but you didn't really answer my question. WHY would you want to rub betel leaves on the blade and bend it like this? What purpose could that serve even if you can bend it back?
You have also written that this type of weapon is not good for cutting soft materials, but is used for headhunting and because it cuts bone well. But there is quite a bit of soft flesh before you get to the bone that the blade must cut through first so this does not really make sense to me.
You have mentioned that the pisau ambang looks like a mandau, but it is different. Could you explain how it is different so that we would be able to recognize those differences. Thanks much!
Oke actually mantikei property is bentable.. betel just to make it more flexible.. it might be chemical reaction caused by betel sap to this metal.. I dont know..
I dont know very sure how it was used in "asang kayau era" - headhunting era.. I just realize my grandfather own one of authentic mantikei.. but now its with my brother in Kalimantan.. I havent seen it.. or try to bent it.. I need to ask my grandfather to gather all information.. as his grandfather was the last headhunters.. we were stop head hunting after Tombang Anoi declartaion in year 1893.. a meeting of all Dayak tribes in Tumbang Anoi, central kalimantan.. and issued 96 laws to stop beheadings, slavery etc...

Pisau ambang is normaly made frol low quality of metal.. thats why some mandau made form gears ect.. because its called ambang.. but original mandau is made from high quality "batu gunung" as my picture previously.. and real mandau need rituals.. thats why takes months to make a mandau.. and the differents also on its "tatahan" - motives on blade
Cakszz is offline   Reply With Quote