View Single Post
Old 11th January 2009, 06:14 PM   #56
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaukudi
Hi Michael,

East Sabah seems to be not as much visited and researched as the west part. I know for example that Osa Johnson landed there with his catalina on the kinabatangan river ( will list pics tomorrow). writers I only found two specific on the east: Doroty Cator "everyday life among the headhunters"and D.D.Daly explorations in British North Borneo 1883-1887 Both books I have not read yet.

Reading the book of Rutter we see that it was just the western part of Sabah where a lot of trade was , also from Chinese and Bajau.
there where still markets there with 700 stands !

Also if you see the photo's of the book of Rutter you see philippine weapons in use at the western part of Sabah.

I also found googling the word "Gayang" often related to the philippines and should be the word for "sword".
Is maybe a parang gayang the word for an imported sword/blade from the philippines? Or was it reproduced in the north borneo? Or does he mean that a gayang is a mandau type but with local blade and so not hollow bladed?

I don't mean that I didn't believe that the Dusun imported sword or mandaublades, of course they did.
I think however that the handles and scabbards where made locally by Dusun craftsman, sometimes with locally made blades ( krowit-less simple examples)
and sometimes with good imported blades.The carvings are to diiferent from Iban swords I think.

well however it is its a interesting discussion and you let me start reading again!

Arjan.
ooh BTW just found a free download !http://www.archive.org/details/everydaylifeamon00cato

Last edited by mandaukudi; 11th January 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote