View Single Post
Old 11th January 2009, 05:20 PM   #54
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Hi Arjan,

It's correct that Evans was based in West Sabah but the problem is that I don't know of anybody who did any research on the Eastern Dusun. Do you?
Also naming a group of people living in such a widespread area as Dusun overall is problematic.
Having travelled myself in both of these areas I find it probable that a lot of the trade along the river of Kinabatangan might have originated from the vivid commercial metropol of Sandakan. This means that among the Eastern Dusun probably a lot more of direct Sulu influence was present than on the West side where Brunei were more influential in trade items? All villages are located close to the river today and I find it hard to believe that it was different 100+ years ago based on the dense jungles. I tried to get permission from the local guides when there to take a jungle walk but they explained to me that it was too dense and no paths. So from what I have experience this area is quite different from for instance along the Mahakam river in Kalimantan where there are a lot of paths between villages and not everything centers around the river.
On the trade blades I am of the complete different opinion based on the books I referred to. Have you found any other source or why do you think that the simpler, only locally produced parang was the trade version?
On your blade I hope to see it next time we meet to comment it further on how hollow it is etc.

Michael
Hi Michael,

East Sabah seems to be not as much visited and researched as the west part. I know for example that Osa Johnson landed there with his catalina on the kinabatangan river ( will list pics tomorrow). writers I only found two specific on the east: Doroty Cator "everyday life among the headhunters"and D.D.Daly explorations in British North Borneo 1883-1887 Both books I have not read yet.

Reading the book of Rutter we see that it was just the western part of Sabah where a lot of trade was , also from Chinese and Bajau.
there where still markets there with 700 stands !

Also if you see the photo's of the book of Rutter you see philippine weapons in use at the western part of Sabah.

I also found googling the word "Gayang" often related to the philippines and should be the word for "sword".
Is maybe a parang gayang the word for an imported sword from the philippines? Or was it reproduced in the north borneo? Maybe im wrong that also possible but its remarkable that he doesn't speak about phillipine weaponery in the chapter where he is talking about swords.

I don't mean that I didn't believe that the Dusun imported sword or mandaublades, of course they did.
I think however that the handles and scabbards where made locally by Dusun craftsman, sometimes with locally made blades ( krowit-less simple examples)
and sometimes with good imported blades.

well however it is its a interesting discussion and you let me start reading again!

Arjan.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote