View Single Post
Old 11th January 2009, 08:11 AM   #52
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Arjan,

Please also have a look in Evans page 189-190 to get the overall picture of my conclusion.
On Rutter's comment I understand that it refers more to gayang than the ilang?
Your opinion quoted above, as I understand it, I find very probable.
That even if the blades maybe were imported the decorations (=dress, hilt, carvings) are locally made and Dusun.
Similar to the trade blades in the keris world.
In several Kalimantan sources we read that the best ilang blades were traded to other tribes...

Michael
Hi Michael,

I don't have Evans here at hand, but whatever he writes know that he based his work mainly on the Tempasuk Dusun ( where he was located) and other coastal groups of Dusun. Kinabatangan is a whole different area. The Dusun around the Kinbatangan are from the other Dusun groups living inland.

I think that its good possible that the "parang gayang" was the trade parang and was obtained from kampong Gayang what quite close at the coast in Sabah.
see link http://www.maplandia.com/malaysia/sabah/kampong-gayang/

The Dusun mandau I ahve seen have blades that looks like the blades from the Baram rivergroups. I don't think that the Dusun blacksmith where able to produce such masterpieces. The blade of my example is very simple and I can imagine that its possible that its made locally. Its hollow but not that way like a good kayan or kenyah blade.

Arjan.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote