View Single Post
Old 4th March 2007, 01:53 PM   #27
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
The 'mickey mouse' hilt form, spans quite a large geographical region in Sumatra. There are examples on Palembang, Minang and many other pieces.

Adni's classification of hilt forms had identified the hilt as Minangkbau, (based on Malay Art Gallery archives.)

Michael (VVV) have examples of this hilt form on various types of Sumatran keris.
On a Minangkabau's keris:
http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php

On a Palembang keris:
http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php

In Van Duuren's, The Kris, Page 54, there is a similar form which mentioned it as from South Sumatra.

In Kerner's, Keris-Griffe - Aus Dem Malayischen Archipel, Page 52, Fig: 40, another 'mickey mouse' but only indicated as from Sumatra.

As for whatever left of the sheath, and the blade, it seems Central Sumatra to me.

"Ganja Iras" is a purpose-built piece. Where it was believed, with proper ritual, could be used to penetrate an 'invincible' warrior, (those that practices a kind of mystical 'warrior-magic').

Others have stated before that it is a short-cut, cost saving means... etc. However, in the Malay mystic world, it hold certain values.
Hi Shahrial,

If you look carefully, you are seeing 2 stylistically similar but different hilt forms. The examples you have placed there have ears which don't flare out, but goes straight up the head. A "U" shape.

Carlos' keris hilt has ears that flare out. A "V" shape. Here's another example, though I apologize I only have the side view of it. This hilt is in Paul De Souza's collection. It is a wide "V" shape.

Another thing we can take note - the eyes are different. The minang hilts have more bulging eyes while the "lampung-style" hilts are more "se-daging" (flush with the form) defined by shallow lines.

The blade is not a bahari or an anak alang in my opinion. The greneng doesn't look appropriate. The gandik is too broad and high. The blade is too broad and flat.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote