View Single Post
Old 13th November 2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Outstanding pieces Cornelis!
On the quillon dagger I think I would have joined with Marc in his very reasonable observation based on the photos alone, and without the data posted afterwards. The material you provided after his observation is most impressive in illustrating the information on the actual disposition of the weapon. The detail on the provenance and authentication from the Dutch Museum are also impressive additions. A remarkable dagger.

The 'ballock' dagger is also most impressive, as these are I believe reasonably rare even without this unusual blade form. I had not heard of a dagger used with two hands in stabbing aming these types. What I do recall of these 'ballock' daggers is that they were once known as 'dudgeon' daggers for the type of boxwood typically used for thier hilts, if I remember correctly.
Also, the collectors of the mid 19th century with prudish correctness (the Victorian version of political correctness) saw fit to avoid the suggestive 'ballock' term by using the less colorful anatomic term, 'kidney' daggers

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote