View Single Post
Old 7th June 2012, 12:53 PM   #16
Emanuel

Ariel for the moment my exposure has been only to Hyderabad and Goa and to the experiences of the Indian collectors I've met and it's been very limited. Other forum members understand the situation much better than I do.

It seems that the craft is alive and very strong in northern India, particularly in Punjab where the Sikh market is very strong. The spectrum runs from dealers selling old pieces to smiths making good quality weapons and companies making "cheap" replicas. I know of Sikh Gatka practitioners in Toronto periodically making trips back to Punjab to buy equipment.

At the same time, based on my experience here in Hyderabad, it seems there isn't that much stuff lying around anymore, at least not here in the South. The old princely armouries like Mysore are actually keeping their arsenals under lock and the antique/junk shops have nothing. I Goa I went to a number of shops/flee markets and such and I asked around, I found nothing. You'd think that what with the place's history and Portuguese presence there would be good stuff left around.

Complicating things is that owning, buying/selling edged weapons is illegal unless one has special dispensation/permits. Sikhs are among the few that can legally own and bear sharp weapons. This is understandable, although generally quite tolerant, crowds here are passionate and easily swayed. Marches, parades and festivals can easily turn violent, and no government here wants armed crowds slaughtering each other.

All of this I think contributes to a rise in prices, both local and global.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote