Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:14 PM   #40
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Beautiful photos of Yemeni swords
There is of course absolutely no evidence of Bukharan influences.
This discussion was all made up on the forum based on nothing...
We would have to define Bukharen influence. Is there a distinctly Bukharen character which was confined to those specific regions? As far as I have understood the Persian dynamic in such influences affected many cultures and regions throughout the Middle East, India (particularly Mughals), Central Asia and more.
The point has been that influences which influenced Bukhara may well have shared and been diffused in Yemeni designs as well.
I was once told, 'weapons have NO geographic boundaries' in discussions with an authority on Bukharen arms, and in which a sabre (of similar form to shashka) could not be determined either Uzbek or Afghan. There were elements in character of both, so classification was pretty much a toss up.

I consider the observations in the discussions on these swords as all relevant and far from being based on nothing. In fact all of the content is pertinent data toward the remarkably difficult determination of the history and development of these weapons. Classifications and historical determinations of influences may not always be finite, but reasonable plausibility is a worthwhile outcome.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote