View Single Post
Old 29th March 2022, 01:57 PM   #1
xasterix

Default Iranun panabas for comment

Would like to get feedback/comments (and posts of similar samples, if possible) on a double-edged panabas that matches the illustration and features attributed by Warren (2002) to 1840s Iranun weapons. The hilt measures 11in, the blade 20in; it's 31in overall.

The blade is thin and light. Half of the blade (approximately where the spine filework begins) is highly flexible and really sharp. It reminds me of the blades of pre-1900 kampilans. The spine that started tapering near the filework ends very thin (it's thinner than shown in my picture because the perspective is bent a little to the side; the actual spine is even thinner).

This will surely bend if it cuts through hard targets. It's definitely not made to hit any type of armor, nor accomplish any utility task. In contrast, early 1900s-preWW2 samples (the hockey stick-like ones) are tanky, hefty, and have non-flexible blades.

There are signs of later-era repairs and modifications (pins, aluminum bolsters, and silver inlay in the blade holes). The aluminum bolsters are covering up cracks on the wooden hilt. The pins seem to go all the way through the tang.

The blade is laminated, I just haven't been able to etch it properly yet. TIA for your thoughts.
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote