View Single Post
Old 25th July 2021, 09:00 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M View Post
Jim the example on the right has a pommel very similar to a Georgian cavalry sword that just sold at Tony Cribbs auction. I noticed it because I have a sister sword virtually identical but with markings and the name of Wyatt on the blade.
Your example and the Tony Cribb sword are the only other swords I have seen with the same pommel profile.

Will thank you very much for coming in on this, and especially for reminding me of the 'Wyatt' saber. Its amazing how long we've been discussing that most interesting sword.
Even more amazing is the case of this pommel which is 'bun' shaped with the unusually tall capstan.
It seems that these tall capstans occur on hilts c.1770s but on the pommels that I call 'olive' but Mazansky calls 'sugar loaf' (?) (XIV type).

The pommel on my basket hilt seems to align with the earlier Scottish forms except for the tall capstan. As the 'olive' pommels were beginning c. 1750s it does seem possible that the feature of the tall capstan might be in effect transitional. I had no idea the pommel would be so unusual so your observation of its apparent rarity is most interesting.

Are there images of the sword sold at Cribb?
These pommels seem atypical to both the slotted hilts and basket hilts.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote