View Single Post
Old 5th March 2018, 02:01 AM   #11
Aslan Paladin

Thanks for all the feedbacks guys!

Kai, I was lucky to get the two kris swords at the price I got them. I was pleasantly surprised as I knew both are relatively rare as compared to the other Moro kris swords offered at the same auction. I agree that the asymmetric blade kris seems smaller than similar swords I have seen in the net so far but it feels comfortable when held in the hand, not flimsy or anything like that.

I think you are right that the handle of the first kris is burnt bone comparing it with images I've Googled. The Haversian canals in the underside of the pommel is also suggestive of bone.

The hexagonal cross section of the second kris being possibly Bugis-influenced is an interesting thought, thanks for pointing that out.

I couldn't see any gap in the silver sleeve that could suggest an area of insertion for an asang-asang unless it was one that was externally fixed to the hilt with silver wire as you have opined (similar to the second from left kris of the group pic of swords you provided).

I don't have enough confidence in my etching skills to proceed any further without damaging the blade and I don't have access to more potent etchants. Anyway I am satisfied with the linear, central lamination folds of the first kris and I can't see any indication of any pattern from the blade of the second kris.

Thanks for the link to the northwestern Borneo swords (very interesting stuff), the hilt of the second kris does look similar to them.

David, I think you are right that the hilt had been a re-shaped kakatua, particularly the back that has been rounded. It seems that it was done in the distant past as there is no discernible difference in patina and the contour is well stream-lined. It also probably had silver plates to the sides at one point as there are 3 pin holes on each side, similar to the middle kris in the group pics of northwestern Borneo Bisaya kris swords Kai provided.

Jose, is this 'saber' type blade forged by Moros or are they imported from further down south? Is there any significance to them like status symbol or just a matter of preference for the owner? And is there a known time frame in which this blade type was produced? Sorry for the multiple questions.

Sajen, it would indeed be nice to have the second kris' asang-asang restored as well as the missing silver platings on the hilt. In the meantime I'm fine with the way it is.

PBH, I agree that the first kris looks like a cross between a kris and a bolo. But the blade is forged the way it is, not a converted one.

Last edited by Aslan Paladin; 5th March 2018 at 02:27 AM.
Aslan Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote