Thread: Folding bayonet
View Single Post
Old 9th January 2023, 06:27 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Duly noted, Jim. Yet my concern was not the modern period of the examples you posted per se, but the comparison between weapons of factory production for military purposes and the knife in discussion, manifestly a personal item with intense manual intervention. On the other hand, apart from in both cases the blades being foldable, not an uncommon particular, no further features are alike... i would say.

-
So basically as this appears to be privately made, as there are no markings, it cannot be associated with any production forms of folding bayonet used as a prototype? Therefore the elimination of any production form that has any military basis is invalid to determine possible country or period ?

I thought these entries from the reference by Stephens, and the example from one of the most reliable authorities on bayonets , the late Roger Evans, would be helpful.....particularly as it supported Bayowolf's suggestion of Italy in the OP. Perhaps published references are not relevant if the item posted is deemed 'privately' made, thus purely an anomaly with no influencing forms.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote