View Single Post
Old 14th March 2007, 06:58 AM   #18
Alam Shah

Default Keris Bahari... and Jawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
Let us now look at that very short kris panjang !
I found it already broken and with a very ugly piece of wood as handle.
I am still surprised at the width of the gandar that Nik produced.
The reason must probably what you explain : The panjang form have similar shorter forms known as bahari, alang and anak alang.
And I guess he wanted also to show the perfect stria of the "senoh" wood
The hulu jawa demam and the buntu are wery well done.
The meaning of Keris panjang is a long keris. Imho, in its current form, it had been transformed into a keris bahari or anak alang.

The sheath is in the debek form of the northern Malay Peninsular and Southern Thailand. This sheath which is made in Kelantan, leans more towards the kelantanese aesthetics, thick and broad batang (gandar). The buntut style, is in the pantat lipas form.

[Similar example] of a kelantan made sheath, by Nik Rashidin's brother. For comparison, note the wood, sheath style and sheath end-piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
The next photos deal with this strange keris jawa(?). No conclusion to be made on the sarong and sampir as I made it with the wood I had here. I made an error in the angle between the sampir and the gandar. I have been also very simple with the buntut.
The hulu is particular and has been discussed on the forum a few years back. Nobody was able to trace its origin. I found it in Jogjakarta.
Michel
Discuss it again in a new thread. Perhaps we could explore further this time round. (Bigger, clearer pictures would help.)
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote