View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Miguel,
You are right about the SCABBARD being what is described as Hejaz. This style comes from southern Yemen around the Aden region. The punched script is just that....script, which some one here may be able to translate for you if you could post clear pics. I have a strong suspicion that the knife is not original to the scabbard and is a much later Indian made addition.
The scabbard is worthy of attention as it is very nice, and I suspect by the way it looks, that the silver is of good quality.
Stu
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your interesting comments and information, it is fascinating what unfolds about items posted for comment and info when knowledgeable members kindly give their time to pass on their knowledge.

I wonder how the scabbard got to India and whether the dagger was made for an Indian who liked the scabbard or an Arab who liked the pistol grip style of handle.? Whoever made the knife and handle must have been very skilled and in my opinion did a perfect job. For interest I obtained this piece in the early 70`s in a part exchange deal with money as well for my Bayonet collection at the time it being the first Ethno weapon I purchased.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote