View Single Post
Old 19th October 2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

For anyone with a sincere interest not only in Indian arms, but in true scholarship in the study of Indian history as told by the weapons themselves, this book is a must!!!
The title is so very appropriate, as the kind of research and comprehensive detail on the weapons reflects the passionate scholar that is Jens.

It should also be well noted that Jens is truly one of the pioneers in the study of the weapons of India as he was involved in the publishing of one of the seminal works on these swords. That was of course "the Indian Sword" by Philip Rawson by the Danish Arms and Armour Society in 1967. In fact Jens had weapons in that reference, reflecting the importance of the weapons he has discerningly collected for decades.

Jens dynamically illustrates that weapons are not just to be collected and classified, but they are in essence, history itself, and each has its own story. While many remain excellent examples and can only stand as such for time, they are open cases always ready to reveal more. Others have much more depth in the findings that have taken years to discover. The tenacious study that Jens puts into his work is told beautifully in these weapons and the entries that accompany them .

I just wanted to say these things in the time of the release of this landmark reference in this field of study, as this will become one of those highly sought but hard to secure books......as I recall other books in which I said, I wish I had gotten one then!!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote