View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2018, 05:35 PM   #7
CharlesS

I realize there is some slight overlap here with what others have said, but, nonetheless, here's my take on the subject:

I think it is fair to say there has never been an easier time to research Indian weapons...outside of their original time and place...than now.

Many 19th and 20th-century reference works(books and articles) were dedicated primarily to cataloging examples or pictures and photographs often of only the most ornate pieces. Now there are quite a number of volumes dedicated to the subject in a variety of different forms from pictorial only and 'lighter' formats to very detailed, cultural, historical, ethnicity(N. Indian and S. Indian, etc.) and even religiously based(Muslim, Hindu, etc.) formats. Now you could practically make a study of blade types and structures alone, or even a study of Indian style hilts alone. As a matter of fact, you could even argue that the amount of material is overwhelming. That is something that certainly could not be said 50 years ago, most especially about the depth of what was found then versus now.

There remains one dilemma, especially for exciting the interest of younger, or beginner collectors, and that is the COST of the volumes available. There is little that can be done about that issue as most of the volumes are publications of the highest caliber. I can only suggest that one do what I did when I started this adventure over 20 years ago...start simple and work your way up through more scholarly oriented volumes.

Countless photos really do "speak a 1000 words" when it comes to this sort of research, and backed up by sound study and experience just adds "gravy" to the research.

Last edited by CharlesS; 22nd September 2018 at 06:45 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote