View Single Post
Old 4th April 2011, 11:01 PM   #9
spiral

My post was my honest thoughts & immediate feelings Ariel, i did understand what you & indeed Elgood meant, My answear still stands though.

It hadnt occured to me when I posted my repley but, I can still recall, that one of the rarest, most well crafted, unusual & possibly expensive Piha Katta grips ever seen when posted for the second tiome on this forum, inspired your comment something along the lines of you that you failed to see why it was important. {Havent bothered to look up the thread so please forgive me if my recall is inaccurate.} Thats fair enough, Thats how I see things, as individuals we all do decide whats important for us. If a demi God like Elgood says something is important the nature of man is that many of us will agree.

Sadley the provinaced pieces I was thinking of collected pre, 1920 {By an Infamous British Officer.} {who had also picked up the jewled Piha kaetta hilt somewher on his travels} & earlier that I once posesesd are long gone, It was a group of 3 blades, a customised Afghan Sashqa & two Afghan tulwars all with identical blades bearing, what is usualy refered to on this forum as Mazar al sharif arsenal markings. {In fact I understand more recent research appears is actualy the Afghanistan goverement ownership marking & was often placed on firearms as well as swords & bayonets etc. made & stored in Kabul arsenal.}

But I digress & sadley I cant link to any esteemeed authers on the subject, & also have to state I cant guarantee any rehandling of the Afghan blades had ever occured pre 1920 or that Although he served in the 3rd Afghan war thathe hadnt picked them up elswhere pre.1920.

I still think whats important is mostly personal, but of course concide some pieces are important to many or most of us serious collectors.

Either way you have an interesting sword, sadley it may mean Ive let more important pieces move on to new guardians than I realised, but if thats the case, then hopefully thier current guardians are the right people for them to be with.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote