Thread: Dagger!
View Single Post
Old 29th July 2018, 08:49 AM   #5
motan

Talking Majdali dagger

Hello Hombre,

Indeed a Majdali (or Magdali) dagger from the village of Majdal Shams. There have been several threads where this type is discussed, among others, just a few days ago (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24138). Notice the similarity between yours and BANDOOK's.
Yours is a fine and very typical example, and I am pretty certain that it was made in Majdal Shams, because I have seen very similar ones with the village name engraved in the blade.
There are two general styles in Majdal Shams in this period and this is one of them.
As for the age, it is always difficult. I have seen this type with dates between 1910 an 1940, so, my best guess is in between the wars. Quality deteriorated quickly after WWII, although some good quality daggers were still made.

As for BBJW's remarks, I think that people who know little about a subject should refrain from putting down other people's buys. Surely, for anyone collecting 18th c. Ottoman or similar, ivory gold and wootz, this type of dagger may seem too cheap and late to be serious. Like Koummyas, Shibriyas, Omai khanjars etc., Majdali daggers gradually became tourist souvenirs in later periods and were produced for this market specifically, but tourist pieces do not have the same quality as genuine ones.

Majdali daggers were made from at least the last quarter of the 19th c. and were carried as weapons by locals far beyond their area of production. In the photograph you can see Bedouins carrying Shibriya-like daggers except the second from left, who has a Majdali dagger. It was taken in Jordan before WWI.
In short, a very good find. Daggers of this quality and typical style are becoming rare and expensive too. Don't sell in the next 20 years!
Eytan
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote