Thread: Danish Pallask
View Single Post
Old 5th March 2014, 10:29 PM   #15
E Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall

It would seem our example most corresponds to #47 in the plates you show, with single punch plate, similar quillon and what seems to be close to the guard configuration. It is a bit too distorted to be sure. The pommel is of course different and I cannot tell if there was a thumb ring.

In my research as I noted earlier, I kept finding later hits of similar system but they seemed typically of later period, as you note here. Also, I had always regarded these as cavalry swords but I am thinking of the bilobate shells and typical Walloons.

As I mentioned, the most difficult aspects of identifying this sword and its form are that Solingen was such a prolific producer of these and their variations over a long period and for many countries. I think the best thing going in this case is the apparent provenance from being excavated in this battlefield context, however the long lapse from its excavation and the reliability of records and its custody must be considered. It could be a weapon from later period and lost in the battlefield context long after the actual battle and therefore collateral rather than associated, but these things are left to speculation.
Just missed your post. I would not particularly trust the 1659 date. All I have from the record is that it was found in the area of the Battle of Nyborg; I do not have a good, dated archaeological context. Obviously I would like for it to be from the battle, but it isn't even close to a certainty. Because I am working off a single line from a poor record from 1939, I have no idea if 'area of the Battle of Nyborg' means it was found on the actual battlefield, or found down a well shaft a couple kilometers away. Looking purely at the records, either could be true, so if comparable examples to this sword are only really found later, it would not be unreasonable to assume the sword post-dates the battle.

There is a thumb ring in the guard. I've attached a couple more photos to this post. If there are additional areas/angles of which a photo would be helpful, please let me know.
Attached Images

E Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote