Thread: Danish Pallask
View Single Post
Old 5th March 2014, 10:11 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for coming in on this Jasper, I was hoping you would!
Interesting examples you have illustrated (what source if I may ask), and as you note these were associated with the well known 'walloons' (the term they became called by after their prolific use in the Low Countries).

It would seem our example most corresponds to #47 in the plates you show, with single punch plate, similar quillon and what seems to be close to the guard configuration. It is a bit too distorted to be sure. The pommel is of course different and I cannot tell if there was a thumb ring.

In my research as I noted earlier, I kept finding later hits of similar system but they seemed typically of later period, as you note here. Also, I had always regarded these as cavalry swords but I am thinking of the bilobate shells and typical Walloons.

As I mentioned, the most difficult aspects of identifying this sword and its form are that Solingen was such a prolific producer of these and their variations over a long period and for many countries. I think the best thing going in this case is the apparent provenance from being excavated in this battlefield context, however the long lapse from its excavation and the reliability of records and its custody must be considered. It could be a weapon from later period and lost in the battlefield context long after the actual battle and therefore collateral rather than associated, but these things are left to speculation.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote