Thread: Danish Pallask
View Single Post
Old 4th March 2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely fascinating example Mr.Farrell, especially with this provenance and having been excavated at this historically important location.
Though I have not yet located a distinct match, it is clear this is a military sword, and does appear to be a 'pallasch'. This term is usually applied to large and straight bladed military swords, typically cavalry.

A hanger is usually a much shorter sword usually with curved blade of varying degree and used usually by wider range of forces militarily. They are also well known in civilian use widely especially as 'hunting' swords, but this sword does not appear in that category. In its excavated condition it is remarkable that the 'running wolf' remains discernible.

Since the Battle of Nyborg was in 1659, this sets a benchmark and as the forces for Denmark included Dutch, Prussian, Polish versus Swedish forces, it would be difficult to say which this pallasch might be from. I have checked "Gamle Danske Militaer Vaben" (Th. Moller, 1963) but nothing corresponds, though some later forms look interestingly similar, so I do not think it is Danish.

At this point I would be tempted to consider this probably a Prussian pallasche, particularly with the wolf mark, but varying European makers used German blades so it is hard to say.

I will check further tomorrow, but in the meantime perhaps the others out there might have more. There is a phenomenal knowledge base here among our members so we should have this down pretty quickly
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote