View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2019, 11:14 PM   #1
jagabuwana

Default Talismanic brass "kerises"

Hi all,

I have some questions about small, talismanic kerisses made of brass that I've seen in Indonesia, specifically Java.

They're generally quite small compared to the conventional kris made of steel and nickelous iron, maybe about a hand length, and seem to be made of brass or a similar coloured material.

Some are said/believed to be old or pusaka items, while others are believed to be made and bought or circulated in the modern era. The old or pusaka ones, like conventional kerisses, are often obtained by supernatural means or circumstances, and those who have them don't seem to distinguish between the kind of power that these brass ones possess versus talismanic tosan aji.

I haven't been able to find much information about these brass talismans. Some questions:

1) When did these talismans start appearing?

2) Do these items have any place, or any attention or acknowledgment paid to them, among those institutions and people that are deemed to be authorities in keris and tosan aji?

I had more questions prior to writing this but I've had a mind blank! Interested to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: I should add that the ones I'm thinking of aren't the single-piece brass ones that are carved or shaped to resemble a keris.
I refer to ones where there is a brass blade (either straight or with luks), and both the wilah and what would be the gonjo is one piece, with greneng carved in. All that I've come across have wooden sheaths and handles.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote