View Single Post
Old 29th October 2015, 11:26 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While I have almost embarrassingly limited familiarity with French edged weapons, and only a single book on them, I am not afraid to at least try to offer some kind of suggestion or check any resources I can find.

My first inclination of course and as noted, would be this might be French 1st Empire, due to the seemingly Phrygian capped figure in the familiar neoclassic theme. Then, with the brass hilt, ecusson block with insignia (?) and alternating quillons, it seems 'other ranks' such as perhaps a sappers sword. However, the known examples of these are with either chicken or eagle head, straight quillons and blade with serrated saw back (as pioneers).
The scabbards were leather, not standard carry ring metal.

The blade on this seems very British M1796 light cavalry, but of course, there is nothing British with this hilt or its theme.

While the crossed lances suggest of course cavalry unit, this type of open brass hilt is not of cavalry forms of early 19th c. and the apparent regt. designation 'N' and 'IV' returns to 'French 1st Empire'(?)
One of the sappers swords has letters 'NK' but engraved on blade, interesting...but not much help.

The deeply stamped numbers on the blade back and scabbard throat seem inventory or lot/contract/ issue type recordings, contrary to French but more like German or East European military stampings.

So, just thinking out loud here, and establishing rather, what this is not.
What it is becomes an interesting conundrum with these conflicting elements , but hopefully someone else out there has seen something similar. My research has fallen woefully short, but I hope someone else with better familiarity with these brass hilt other ranks type swords will chime in.

The French 'Empires' and 'Republics' seem to have been keen on regalia, and this theme may have been carried to some kind of commemorative group or fraternity with swords of this kind being created. Who can forget the curious French military academy swords of around 1st Empire? etc.

Sorry to not have better answer, but I find posts without any response at all very disappointing.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote