View Single Post
Old 21st November 2007, 03:17 AM   #3
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedhi Adhitya
Pak Ferry, unfortunately, sandalwood, despite it's good,fine grain and fragrance, is not a usual material in older handle. Most of old handle usually made of Tayuman, Kemuning or Trikancu, among other. Sandalwood is, unfortunately, a little bit rare, perhaps because of it's lack of hardness or tends to chip easier, compared to other wooden material.
Thanks a lot, you re right.
most old handle would made of Tayuman or Kemuning .
I will keep my sandalwood handle . not fot using it as a hilt, but I just love the aroma . I manage to order a sandalwood Surakarta gayaman. people said sandalwood warangka is hard to find. is it all right to use sandalwood as warangka? is it gonna chip easily like those used as hilt?
aramatic sandalwood will make the keris smell good I guess...
I have a keris in sandalwood gayaman an it smell just like the warangka..nice smell. the aroma beat the keris oil.

I really like the wood pattern on sandalwood gayaman, more rubbing to the wood surface will appear the grain more and more....darker.
Its quite hard to find sandalwood these days...I really meant it. aromatic sandalwood might cost US$50 per kg that for the wood only with a risk of damage wood( black spots etc) .
I have to make an enquery with other keris lover just to get a nice saldalwood(CENDANA) warangka...took me a month to acquire a warangka.
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote