View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default Pappenheim and Lobster Tail Helmets

It seems interesting how much influence there was between the Continent and England, and it seems that during the English Civil Wars there was a great deal of equipment besides obviously the swords, used by the forces involved. If I am not mistaken, the 'lobster tail' helmets were of Continental influence, and I believe a number of them were German.

Exactly as ever, Jim,

A great number of Thirty Years War lobster tail helmets were German indeed although they seem to have originated from the Oriental part of the world and are also often connected with the Polish cavalry.

I attach two details of a German lobster tail helmet (Zischägge) from the Met collections and another sold at a previous Christie's sale.

I also managed to find the portrait of Gottfried Heinrich Graf zu Pappenheim (1594-1632) by Wenzel Hollar, which you mentioned, as well as two other portraits of the Graf plus a self portrait of the artist, Wenzel Hollar.

Furthermore I attach a few views of the town and old castle of Pappenheim, plus two of the Pappenheimer rapiers illustrated by Norman and quoted by you.

Best wishes,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote