View Single Post
Old 4th May 2011, 03:36 AM   #14
rasjid

Hi Alan, yes, I agree with your previous posting that I have to clarify about the Kraton pieces.

I'm trying to get general preference about the wood material from Keris collectors. I myself prefer the nginden type after a while I prefer the clean type material (as Kai, mention - maybe quiter grain) which in fact will improve the overal worongko and handle suitability.

My points for choosing the tayuman wood material (only); as previous post that quality of the carving at its best - please comment:
1. The handle height should be Not too tall and not too short (nice to look at) which shows the personality for the owner.
2. prefer quiter grain wood material, smooth no marks.
3. The colour should be darker than the worongko.
4. If the handle has the Selut, the total height (point#1) will affect the total appearance thus normally we choose a lower handle to compensate additional height of the selut. May be ladrang type more suitable for handle with selut? Comment? anyone?

Thank you Alan for your addtional info in regards your experience in handling some keris from Surakarta Karaton. I was told that Karaton pieces own by the Prince is similar with your explanation; in regards the handle -> its plain grain, no "puser" ; which supporting your last post as well.

Thanks again.

rasjid
rasjid is offline   Reply With Quote