View Single Post
Old 14th January 2021, 07:25 AM   #3
kronckew

Looks like a javelin point to me. There seem to be a lot of bronze weapons from the Balkans - 'Luristan' seems to be covered knee deep in them. I recall seeing bronze points for sale with the vendor later listing more just like it with 'age' notching and damage in the same place as the earlier one (or more) they sold.

I once wrote one of these 'vendors' to suggest I'd pay more for a nice shiny one without the ageing and damage. They were not amused. Chinese ones are pretty much guaranteed to be fake, as it is illegal to export real ones, but not replicas.

Some legit dealers in antiquities have the technology in small hand held non-destructive x-ray fluorescence devices that can tell you in seconds the component metals of the alloy used in a bronze (or other metals) and compare the blend with real authenticated ones. Might try a local museum to see if they have one. They are not a casual purchase, but not as expensive as one might think.

p.s.- considering the sharp lines of the rest of the blade, I wonder what might have caused the rounded 'bites' taken out of the edges.

Last edited by kronckew; 14th January 2021 at 05:33 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote