View Single Post
Old 29th March 2019, 03:43 PM   #12
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
It was not my intent to infer that this style of panabas was ever meant to be used as a primary weapon in battle, but instead could have possibly been carried either as a secondary weapon or as you pointed out as a status symbol. I just do not believe that examples such as the one Detlef has shown here were made with the sole purpose of being used as nothing more than mere gardening tools.
Hi Robert and Detlef, please understand my comment is in no way meant to belittle/slur the panabas in question (what would I give to have an antique like that), but rather as a context-setter / primer on how Moros fight, based on my research and experience on Moro Fighting Arts (MFA) and the invaluable info / advice of previous forum members.

In my opinion, the panabas is chiefly a Maguindanao weapon. While it may have been used in the battlefield, it is chiefly a sultan's bodyguard and execution weapon; it's the equivalent of shock and awe for the populace.

Now, why do I think it's not likely to have been used in battle?

1. There are better weapons. The oldest Moro weapon is the spear, and it's the mainstay in any conflict. Its exceptional range is a must in battlefield scenarios. The Moro warriors were not like the talibong-wielding Pulahanes of the Visayas who relied on guerilla tactics; theirs was the open battlefield kind of battle. If they relied solely on their barungs and kris, they would have been mowed down before they were able to use these in close-quarter combat. Enter the spear, which I think has not been getting enough attention in this forum. Before the kris or barung gets unsheated, it's the initial weapon, and is usually paired with a shield. If I were a Moro warrior and I had to choose a two-handed weapon, I would not choose the panabas, as it is:
a. Limited in range
b. Cumbersome
c. Too slow
d. Bigger samples are too heavy

2. It is not included in the list of traditional Maguindanao weapons. Based on a short 1970s ethnographic reference aptly entitled 'Maguindanaon', the traditional carry consists of spear, kris, and a large knife. You can see the wisdom in this array of weapons because they allow one to dominate at three different ranges of engagement; if you used the panabas as a secondary or primary, you would have to give up either the spear or the kris, which are, in my opinion, much better weapons.

3. The engraved symbols on the blade are decorative, not talismanic. Those who own multiple talismanic Moro blades in their collection will understand that there is a pattern or common motifs to engraved blades which are meant for killing. I've seen panabas before with a talismanic motif, and it's quite potent.

Hope this info helps!

Last edited by xasterix; 29th March 2019 at 04:08 PM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote